As many of you already know i’ve been back and forth with a calorie burning monitor. The latest two have been Polar or Bodybugg. Well a new monitor is set to hit the scene very soon. It is called the FitBit and it looks promising.
From the website:
You can wear the Fitbit Tracker loosely in your pocket, clipped to your pants, shirt, bra or to your wrist when you are sleeping. You can wear it all day!
The Fitbit Tracker is wireless. Walk within 25-50ft of the provided basestation and your data will be automatically uploaded to the Fitbit website. The auto-sync software runs on both Macs and PC’s.
View calories, steps and distance on the Fitbit Tracker itself. You can login to the Fitbit website to see even more detailed data and also participate in collaborative fitness goals with friends, family and co-workers.
So what makes it promising?
- size- it’s very small, and with a built in clip (think almost like the new ipod shuffle) you could be wearing it, and no one would even know.
- price – $99 puts it cheaper than the others and (atleast for the first few months) NO SUBSCRIPTION fee to use the website!!! this means your not paying $250 and then another $12-20 bucks a month.
- wireless – dont have to worry about plugging it in
So what are it’s drawbacks?
- the main on is it only uses an accelerometer to track your movements… this means it won’t always be as accurate in your calories burned.
- No heart rate – again because it only uses the accelerometer you don’t get your heart rate during exercise.
- Extra fees – they aren’t clear if the no subscription is forever or only for a few months or years.
- New company – no track record.
I will let you know when i have more information on this product, it looks as though they are trying to get them out about December/January which is when the V3 bodybugg is to be released… interesting.